I once went in the the boozer on that estate, the pubs German sheperd used to wear shoes to avoid cutting his feet on all the broken glass.
Yeah shame about Kev. That is the curse of Hull. if you don't get out before it is too late it will suck all the life out of you. He is a prime example. Ive know that geezer since I was 14. Like you say, he just becomes cynical and gives up.
As for Bransholme, fucking ell man. the Compton of the North. I used to have a flat right up North Bransolme when that project was still newish. My area was relatively OK. Nearly all open fields behind it back in 91/92/93. However, it is like living on the set of Escape from New York. Hordes of smacked out Zombies would periodically try to kick my front door in or start a fire in the utility rooms.
I once went in the the boozer on that estate, the pubs German sheperd used to wear shoes to avoid cutting his feet on all the broken glass.
AND YOU ARE NOT JOKING!
<font size="4" face="Arial">In the 'Hessle Road' doco, there were, apparently,Originally posted by IH Rich Rags:
As for Bransholme, fucking ell man. the Compton of the North. I used to have a flat right up North Bransolme when that project was still newish. My area was relatively OK. Nearly all open fields behind it back in 91/92/93. However, it is like living on the set of Escape from New York. Hordes of smacked out Zombies would periodically try to kick my front door in or start a fire in the utility rooms.
areas of Bransholme already under demolishment/
redevelopment when the gentrified Hessle Road'ers
were moving in, still mourning their own rubble.
They found themselves surrounded by more mountains
of rubble.
Hull Time Based Arts is now dead; Hull Screen
is being relocated to George St. campus, to a
campus - my campus - already in the grips of
jeopardy. History repeats itself.
Got a call from BBC Humberside today, wondering
what's going on vis-a-vis Hull College's decision
to intergrate with Lincoln Uni. There's no official
comment from the uni until Hull College publically
announce their decision (on the 22nd). I ended
up at the Beeb HQ telling a reporter this and
speaking 'off the record' (no such thing), but,
knowing the press, they've probably already filled
in the gaps, blabbed to the airwaves, and I'm in
the shit? Hey ho.
Went to see 'War of the Worlds' today. It seemed
apt. somehow.
...'WotW', matinee show. The entire cinema to
myself. I pretended that, this is what it feels
like when one is loaded and can afford their own
cinema. It felt good. Haha! As for the film itself...
I think Spielbergs did well not to be seduced into
including cutaways of say, frantic politicians in
Washington ordering the release of bombers, etc.,
and just concentrated on a small amount of charac-
ters (Tim Robbins looked huge!) and the narrative.
CGI was ineffable. Climax was rushed, sloppy and,
ultimately, disappointing. I think I prefered the
record. 'Oooo - Laaaaa!'
--
I've unearthed McAllister's website. Interview
about Kev doco ('Working for the Enemy') is at:
http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/ott.html
D.
<font color="#FF0000" size="1">[ July 18, 2005 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Deviant D ]</font>
Deny Everything! Typical of Hull that is, they cannot leave anything alone. Always been the way.
I checked out Mc Allisters website. So Kev's gorgeous little bird left him for a DSS officer. How fitting. Something very Greek about that don't ya think?
Greek in the tragi-comic sense? It's definetely
ironic.
D.
Exactly in that sense. I knew a chick in Hull who's boyfriend was a bit of a 'lad' Plod always knocking the door in. She ended up marrying the custody sergeant!! Must be an occupational hazard!
Or a convenient escape? If you can't beat them,
marry them. (Because this is Hull and you've got
shit all else to do.)
D.
Maybe that's the Police's modus operadi. Marry all the Villians then you can keep tabs on them. It would take some doing.
In Hull it would. A friend of mine was mugged out-
side Hull Screen a few days ago, at 6.30PM. They
grabbed her bag, she wouldn't let it go, she fell
to the ground, and they (chavs, obviously) dragged
her up the street. Nobody did anything.
D.
Bookmarks